The rosin technique has been gaining a lot of traction in the online cannabis community as of lately and for good reason. Rosin is a solid form of resin that is obtained by adding pressure & heat to vaporize volatile liquid terpenes. Traditionally rosin is produced from pine and is used mainly to treat the bows on violins. However, this technique can be applied in other scenarios, such as creating solventless extractions from your dried herbs.
What Is Rosin? A Solventless Extraction Technique
Recently the rosin technique has been gaining a lot of traction in the cannabis industry as it is a simple and affordable way to produce a quality product, within seconds. This simple technique separates the resin from the plant material by using heat and pressure. The yields are much similar to other extraction techniques, ranging between 10-15% with flower and even more with dry sift/kief.
How To Make Cannabis Oil With Rosin Tech
The rosin technique is quick simple and affordable, allowing anyone to create quality solventless hash in a matter of seconds. To get started making rosin, one would only need a few basic tools in order to create a quality finished product, but not nearly as many as you need with other techniques. The tools needed to make rosin include:
- Flat Iron (2+” with temperature control) or other heat/rosin press
- Non-stick parchment paper
- Collecting device (TI dabber, razor blade, etc.)
- Processing material (flower, dry sift, bubble hash)
- 25u micron screen
Rosin Tech Steps:
- Step 1: Prepare your processing material by breaking it down to .2 – .5 increments. Cut 10-20 pieces of parchment paper in 4” x 8” strips. Preheat the flat iron to 200*F – 340*F (the lower the temp, the tastier the end-product). Lower temperatures (250°F- 300°F) = more flavor/terpenes, less yield, end material is more stable (shatter), where as higher temperatures (300°F- 335°F) = less flavor/terpenes, more yield, end material is less stable (sap). Some extraction artists claim the best way to make Rosin is at 302°F (150ºC), with 4-6 seconds of pressure, using just 0.25 gram samples in each run — but this process has not been confirmed by Medical Jane or any other official studies.
- Step 2: Take one of the small increments that you prepared and wrap it in the center of the 25u micron screen. Place the screen with the product on a piece of parchment paper and then fold the paper over, leaving the product in the center. Place the parchment paper on the flat iron and apply pressure for 3-5 seconds directly on the product.
- Step 3: Remove the pressure from the flat iron and take off the parchment paper, unfold the parchment paper. The starting product will be surrounded by the rosin, remove the product being careful to leave all of the rosin behind. Take your collecting device and scrape the parchment paper to collect all of the finished product.
This Guide may be helpful for those who learn better by watching.
Rosin Tech & The Future of Cannabis Concentrates
What role will rosin tech play in the future of the cannabis industry? Rosin tech allows anyone to easily create quality solventless hash. This presents the potential for patients, as well as at-home connoisseurs to have access to pure clean medicine in a matter of seconds. The process required to create rosin only allows for a limited amount at a time, however with an industrial heat press you can increase the load and overall the yield.
This technique is also a great way to process lower grade bubble hash and dry sift into top-shelf full melt. Overall the rosin technique has shown a lot of potential and we’re excited to see where things are headed.